Good Business Colorado is hiring a Director of Policy!
More information about the job below.
Good Business Colorado (GBC) is seeking a full-time Director of Policy. This individual will be responsible for planning, executing and evaluating the organization’s policy activities. They will shape, articulate, and advance GBC’s work to build a strong economy, thriving communities and a sustainable environment. The Director of Policy will work with the Executive Director, staff, board, GBC members, and partner organizations to develop effective policy proposals and advocate on their behalf with legislators, executive branch staff members, the media, and the general public.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of Colorado politics. They should be fluent in the legislative process, hold relationships with a wide network of state decision makers, and be familiar with the Colorado business lobby landscape. They must believe that triple bottom line business owners and entrepreneurs have an important role to play in the policy arena, and share a commitment to building Good Business Colorado into an influential organization that commands the respect of elected officials, fellow business organizations, the media, and the general public.
This position offers an excellent leadership opportunity. With a focus on building relationships with responsible business owners, community leaders, and elected officials, the Director of Policy will play a central role in demonstrating how the same triple bottom line principles that lead to business success can be applied to the policy realm to produce equally great results.
About Good Business Colorado
Good Business Colorado is the business voice advocating for a strong economy, thriving communities and a sustainable environment. We play an important role in improving Colorado, guided by our values:
- A Strong Economy is one that enables everyone to thrive, with jobs that provide fair workplaces, livable wages, career growth opportunities and good health.
- A Sustainable Environment is one with clean air and water, renewable energy, as well as public lands that preserve our unique outdoor heritage and lifestyle.
- A Thriving Community is one in which residents can find affordable housing, live in a safe neighborhood and are treated equally, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, disability and other characteristics.
Good Business Colorado advances our shared values by:
- Advocating for local, state and federal policies that reflect our values
- Providing an alternative point-of-view to traditional business organizations
- Sparking more involvement of like-minded, triple bottom line businesses
The GBC Director of Policy responsibilities include:
- Facilitating the process by which GBC members select the organization’s annual policy agenda
- Representing GBC at the Capitol, within coalitions, in the media, and at community events
- Planning and executing events such as policy roundtables and legislative briefings
- Providing support to Working Group Chairs and Co-Chairs and assisting with group management
- Participating in working groups and acting as a liaison between the groups and the board and staff
- Engaging GBC members in advocacy opportunities, trainings, and other skill building activities
- Keeping GBC members informed and engaged with our policy work
- Preparing GBC members to speak with legislators, testify, and speak to media about our policy agenda
- Evaluating annual advocacy efforts and providing recommendations for improvement
We’re seeking a candidate who is a goal oriented, self-motivated, team player, with excellent relationship building and communication skills. The ideal candidate has experience:
- Developing initiatives and policy recommendations
- Presenting detailed information about policy proposals to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Working with volunteers, specifically on public policy issues
- Conducting and assessing research on a variety of policy-related topics
- Developing briefs, drafting legislation, and testifying before legislative committees
- Building and directing effective coalitions to achieve public policy objectives
- Working with academic researchers and translating research into policy recommendations
- Producing legislative scorecards and candidate questionnaires used for 501(c)3 activities
- Shares our commitment to integrating our values into our work
- Has a demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity
- Consistently meets deadlines and manages multiple projects simultaneously
- Has strong communication (written and verbal) and public speaking skills
- Is resourceful and creatively overcomes obstacles
- Possesses the ability to plan, do turnout for, and facilitate meetings
- Is comfortable learning about and championing policies GBC advocates for with members, the media, business leaders and organizations, elected officials, community organizations, and the public
The position is based in Denver with some travel expected and frequent off-site meetings. The position also requires a willingness to work outside the standard 9:00AM – 5:00 PM M-F hours, and to work especially long hours when the Colorado legislature is in session. Familiarity with the Colorado legislature is required, and experience working in coalitions and with community organizations that work on issues that align with GBC Strong Economy, Sustainable Environment and Thriving Community pillars is a bonus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range is $65,000 - $80,000 annually, depending on experience. GBC benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement program, and a flexible work schedule, in addition to paid vacation and sick leave. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization to fully represent and engage all triple bottom line Colorado businesses. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, geographies, political affiliations, gender identities/gender expressions, people with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law to apply.
If you think you are the person for this job, please send a cover letter and resume to
debra@GoodBusinessCo.org with “GBC Director of Policy Application” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate where you learned about this position. Applications will be reviewed as they come in and position will remain open until filled.