CDC’s Injury Center encourages you to promote safe, stable, nurturing relationships and environments to prevent child abuse and neglect. While the true number of victims is likely much higher, the National Survey of Children’s Exposure to Violence estimated 1 in 4 children have experienced abuse or neglect at some point in their lives, and 1 in 7 children had such experiences in the last year.
Child maltreatment includes all types of abuse and neglect of a child by a parent, caregiver, or another person in a custodial role that results in harm, potential for harm or threat of harm to a child. The effects of abuse and neglect continue throughout the life course, with child abuse and neglect costing an estimated $124 billion per year in total lifetime costs.
The good news is that child abuse and neglect is preventable. Research suggests that comprehensive strategies that promote safe, stable, nurturing relationships and environments for all children and their families are key in preventing child abuse and neglect.
Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect
CDC has developed a technical package, Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect: A Technical Package for Policy, Norm, and Programmatic Activities, to help states and communities prevent child abuse and neglect. A technical package is a collection of strategies that represent the best available evidence to prevent or reduce public health problems like violence. The package supports CDC’s Essentials for Childhood framework and highlights 5 strategies to prevent child abuse and neglect:
- Strengthen economic supports for families
- Change social norms to support parents and positive parenting
- Provide quality care and education early in life
- Enhance parenting skills to promote healthy child development
- Intervene to lessen harms and prevent future risk
The technical package is intended as a resource to guide and inform prevention decision making in communities and states so that every child has safe, stable, nurturing relationships and environments.
- CDC’s Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Web Pages
- Preventing Child Abuse & Neglect: A Technical Package for Policy, Norm, and Programmatic Activities
- Essentials for Childhood: Steps to Create Safe, Stable, Nurturing Relationships and Environments
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) web page
- VetoViolence: ACES Snapshot
- Essentials for Parenting Toddlers and Preschoolers