Thursday, January 26, 2017

Public Health: 2017 & Beyond – Open Discussion of Issues & Potential Changes

PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE SPOTLIGHT FORUM

Feb. 2 | 3:30 – 5 pm | CU Anschutz Campus
Nighthorse Campbell Bldg., Shore Family Forum



Discussion Leader: Larry Cohen, MSW

Founder and Executive Director, Prevention Institute, Oakland, CA

https://www.preventioninstitute.org

With a new administration, there are numerous proposed changes that may have significant implications for public health in America and globally. These include policies that will be created within the Departments of Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Justice, and the Environmental Protection Agency, among others. This session is intended as an open dialogue among our public health community of faculty, staff, students and community partners to begin a discussion about the current context of public health, potential transformations, and how potential, proposed changes may affect our strategic priorities as a school and broader public health community.

Mr. Cohen is a distinguished national leader in public health practice, having worked in local public health as well as founding and leading the Prevention Institute since 1997. Larry's founding vision has inspired a comprehensive, integrated approach that applies prevention principles to solving complex health and social issues across disciplines, promotes health in all policies, and views equity as a core component of all health decisions. These overarching principles unify Prevention Institute's endeavors in its primary focal areas-health equity, health reform, nutrition and physical activity, and preventing injury and violence. Today, the Prevention Institute synthesizes research and practice; develops prevention tools and frameworks; designs and guides inter-sectoral partnerships; and provides training, technical assistance, and strategy development to promote innovative community-oriented solutions, better government and business practices, and policy change. He is author of a text used in our “Foundations of Public Health” course, Prevention is Primary, and now, Prevention Diaries, just released, reveals the critical importance of community strategies for students, professionals and the general public.

2 comments:

  1. Will this be recorded or streamed? We are very interested, but cannot travel to Denver easily! (lscriggins@bouldercounty.org)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most employees pay an average of 28 percent of their insurance premiums, while their employers pick up the rest of the tab. Taking on that additional 72 percent can put a big dent in the wallet.
    size genetics

    ReplyDelete