Why This is Important
Prescription opioid painkillers are used to treat pain from surgery, injury, and health conditions such as cancer. Inappropriate prescribing and use of these painkillers is linked to dangerous health outcomes such as abuse, overdose, and death.
What States and Organizations Can Do
- Use Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs
- Identify and stop health care providers who over-prescribe opioid painkillers
- Implement best practice prescribing guidelines
- Maximize the state's role as a public insurer
Read the Report from CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics
- Get the facts about Prescription Drug Overdose in the United States.
- Read about CDC’s Prescription Drug Overdose Prevention Research & Activities.