Did you know...
- One in eight deaths among children ages 5 years old or younger are due to injuries, including violence?
- For every child that died from an injury in Colorado during 2011, 12 children age 5 or younger were hospitalized with an injury, and 437 were treated and released from an emergency department?
- Suffocation, including accidental strangulation, was the cause of 60 percent of the injury deaths among Colorado infants younger than 1 year old during 2011?
- Homicide or abuse was the second leading cause of injury deaths among infants but the leading cause among children ages 1-5 in Colorado during 2011?
What can I do?
- Learn more about the statewide and local programs already working to reduce injuries or child abuse in your community, like SafeKids or home visitation programs.
- Partner with these programs to leverage funding and expertise to address childhood injuries.
- Use these data to increase awareness in your organization and community.
- Use these data to seek increased funding to address childhood injuries.